Monday, October 13, 2014

Day 20: Is this safe?

Yesterday I picked up a ticket that involved data from a remote database. It involved some values in a grade sheet that were deleted. 

Since we had minimal access to the backup with the values still there, it would be a pretty basic fix to restore them.

I found the exporter for the grade sheet and pulled a copy of the grades. 

Now, the next step was to use the importer to restore them. 

But holy moly things on the live site. 

Messing around on a copy of a backup is one thing. Even if (when) things DO go horribly wrong, the only person it effects is you! If you ruin things on a live site, the client and the company as a whole suffer! That is scary stuff for a new developer!

So I checked with everyone I could about whether I should do this and if I was doing it properly. 

The tricky part is Thanksgiving. Yeah, that's right, Thanksgiving in October. It's Monday. Several people also took Friday off in order to have an extra long weekend. There were less people around to help in case I broke everything.

Yipes.

I had a member of the customer service team actually sit down and walk me through the importer on the live site. Thankfully, it went off without a hitch! I was able to wrap up another ticket and get home since I wasn't feeling well and we were worried about Loki.

No comments :

Post a Comment