Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day 34: Who broke the build?

Me, evidently.

Whoops.

Many, many things happen when you break the build. You get a personal email with the error output. The entire team gets alerted through the inner-office chat system. The siren goes off, alerting anyone who missed the first message.

Yipes. 

Thankfully, the error message emailed to me was actually super helpful. I'd modified a class to change the protected variables to public (for testing purposes while we also modified the reason the variables needed to be public so we could eventually change them back to protected). The unit tests I'd written depended on the variables being public. The problem, was that I forgot to recommit the file with the variable changes. 

Easy fix! I committed the proper file and executed all the tests to run once more. 

No more broken build!! 

No comments :

Post a Comment