Friday, October 24, 2014

Term 1 is Over!

So I made it through my first term with minimal injury (and blog posts)!

It's kinda crazy to be done already. It seems like just yesterday I was writing down all my assignments on a calendar printout and saying "Jeez, that's a lot." I really had no idea at the time just how much it would be, and just how much stress it would cause.

The last few days of the term were filled with final projects, and almost all final projects at VFS include a presentation. They're really big on making you present over and over again to work up the skill. Thankfully I've had to do plenty of presentations in the past, so I was never too concerned about them.

But one thing I am NOT used to AT ALL is group projects and/or presentations. The computer science department at my university had one group assignment for the entire 4 years I was there, and it was poorly designed and executed. So going from that to almost every final assignment being group work was a test in patience. It's really easy for me to let go of responsibility during the planning phase and let others do the work, but it's even easier for me to think during the presentation "If I were doing this presentation by myself it would be a thousand times better."

And that's not really a good way to think about team work. My team members were there through the whole process (with only a couple frustrating exceptions) and they deserve to present our work just as much as I do, but I just wish they would do it BETTER sometimes.

Also, on the topic of frustrating things, it's hard to come out of the first term without much to show for it. Most other terms end in at least a video game prototype, if not the final product, but term one ends with a board game. Mind you, our board game was pretty cool. My partner painted up a board for us and it was ridiculously well done. But it's still a board game. It's not something I can easily send to my friends and family to check out, and it's not even something I'm particularly proud of either, as we definitely had to half-ass a few things toward the end. I think what I'm trying to say is that this term was cool, but I'm really looking forward to what's next.

But that's all negative stuff, there were so many other great things that happened the last 8 weeks. For example:

  • Made new friends!
  • Made new enemies!
  • Discovered an interest in 3D modeling!
  • Got a lot of A's!
  • Got a lot of feedback on how to make the not A's become A's!
  • Programmed a game in the Windows Console!
  • Made my first ever story board!
  • Had a panic attack the night before I presented my story board about having to show people my terrible art!
  • Did really well on the story board presentation!
  • Joined a VFS League of Legends team!
  • Played a single game on the VFS LoL team!
  • And generally learned a lot about brainstorming and presenting ideas!
Next term starts Monday. Get hyped!

No comments :

Post a Comment