Saturday, September 20, 2014

Day 4: Ok, but what is that?

I made it on time to work like nobody's business. 

SCRUM was just as exciting as it always is. Tutorials are my top priority, which blew everyone's minds. They really just couldn't believe it. I know, Mike and I are living the dream.

I had a 1:1 with Tracy immediately after that. It was pretty great. They'll usually be shorter, but she wanted to go over some company basics. She pulled up a spreadsheet they'd gone over during Tuesday meetings. That was incredibly helpful! I knew that I wasn't going to understand everything on Tuesday, but I also didn't want to just slow things down by pummeling the rest of the team with questions about what was going on. 

I had been assuming we'd get Canadian Thanksgiving off, but no one had mentioned it yet, so I just wanted to check. We're planning on going down to Seattle to visit the one, the only, Michael Paraskevas. I wanted to verify I had the day off before we booked a hotel! Tracy assured me that we have all "Stats" off.

Great. What are "Stats?" 

This confounded her. They are Statutory holidays that all of Canada takes off. She assumed we called them that in the States, too. It makes perfect sense, unlike some of the other phrases and things Canadians do. I just needed it explained that extra step.

So, yes, I have Thanksgiving off and we will be in Seattle.

We left for dev team lunch after that. Cory had made reservations for us at a pretty great restaurant in the Waterfront Station (it's really cool; all the major lines for the train leave from there, as well as the seabus). The office isn't too far from there, so it was a nice walk. There were 6 of us total in the office that day. 

Evidently it was pink shirt day for the waiters, and Adam was wearing the exact same shirt as one of them. We managed to upset our waiter, so then spent the rest of the meal trying to convince Adam to just go find our food or bring us our check. It was enjoyable.

The afternoon was a little long. We spent another couple of hours with our tutorial gold mine. At SCRUM Tracy told the team that she had marked some tickets with the tag "pairing," indicating that whoever pulled it should grab Mike or I so we could partner with them on it. 

Adam pulled a ticket related to a new feature they're getting ready to release, and called us over. I thought we'd get to be a little hands-on with it, but it was just watching him. Still way better than tutorials, but I really just want to write something.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring some coding!