Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Food is sustenance

We live on the edge of China Town and downtown. This means the most reasonable way to go to the grocery store is walking, but most of the surrounding grocery stores special in Asian cuisine. 

Not particularly our cup of tea. I am one of the pickiest eaters around (I do not consume fruits or vegetables, it's a texture thing I don't want to get into right now), so I to say I was overwhelmed by the Asian supermarket is an understatement. We ventured out to the T&T Supermarket one of our first weekends here, and were scared into Target for the next month.

Target is 14 km (8.5 miles) and at least 30 minutes from our apartment.

That is ridiculous.

We reconsidered and did some googling, to find Nester's Market. It's much more Americanized. Of course, when I looked it up, I found the one that was twice as far away. We walked there. We walked all the way there. A 20 minute walk largely uphill. All the way to the grocery store because I was emblazoned with a passion to find a local grocery store.

Jake was still living with us then, and was very confused when we returned. The Nester's Market he goes to is a 5 minute walk, tops. 

I don't understand how this keeps happening.

Target was back in the rotation.

Eventually the gas was too expensive and the drive was too long so I was determined to try the Nester's Market again. 

Nester's is now our regular grocery store. We plan out our meals on Sunday and make one trip for the week. I'm still anxious every time we go there, but I'm starting to learn the layout.