Thursday, September 18, 2014

Day 3: You put your code where?

More on time than any other day so far! In the office at 9:30 am, but having showered and eaten breakfast! Major strides forward!!!

Fewer meetings today. Tracy was in management meetings all day, so we didn't even have our 10 am. Scrum still happened and Mike and I both answered "Tutorials" to all three questions: good things, hold ups, priorities. Such is our life.

PHP tutorials were tackled yesterday afternoon, so today was all about Symfony (the PHP framework they use).

Apparently Mike is also an Apple Macbook newbie!!! Yay! He snaked a nice PC keyboard from somewhere. I'm sticking with my Apple keyboard for now, as I'm going to try to learn all the shortcuts and handy things. The company uses Slack internally for chatting. Mike and I went back and forth both being helplessly confused in the massive structure of the product code as to where we were to put our dummy test files for our tutorials. 

We nagged Adam after scrum to point out a few locations, then flailed around until lunch. Afterwards we got Scott to show us the full source address to test the code we'd barfed out. Mine was very close to working! They apparently restructured some things for their product, so the way the tutorial showed it wasn't accurate. But it only took one additional line and removing a different one for my controller and route to work in Symfony. 

Then we moved on to templates. It's relatively familiar to me from the senior project I did at Tulsa. There we used Django, though it's for a different web language and more rigidly uses the MVC (model, view, controller) structure. Symfony (as far as I can tell) doesn't HAVE to use all of it (but I'm not sure how that would work yet). 

As frustrating as senior software could be, I'll be the first to admit it did reasonably prepare me to go out into the industry and integrate into their set up. 

We had a Google Hangout with Sarah to go over the company policies on commits for code, the branch structure, and the mess that is merging your code. 

There was a whole lot of information today. I was bookmarking pages and taking notes (which got me laughed at) and trying all sorts of different combinations from different tutorials. 

I burnt out around 4:30. I just couldn't build pointless code anymore. So I set up my desktops so that I could leave certain windows open (Chrome, Komodo) and tab through them easily. That is admittedly a nifty feature that I wish Windows would move toward (I think they are with Windows 8.1 and 9, but it's not quite the same).