Friday, May 30, 2014

Memorial Day

Not a holiday in Canada... But we did celebrate Victoria Day here the Monday before! So, you know, there's that.

Memorial Day is a holiday I only recently understood. I always paused for a moment to remember and appreciate in years past. Yet now I remember my brother. I bemoan our loss and I say thank you for all the brave men and women who have volunteered to fight the battles our country chooses to enter.

The funny thing about grieving is that it's always changing. Some anniversaries need to spent with others and some need to be spent alone. For this Memorial Day, I enjoyed being in Dallas with my family. It was nice to spend it with my parents, working on things for the wedding. Focusing on something positive on a rough day can make the day easier to endure.

Dates like the actual anniversary of his death are ones I need to spent alone. Take the day to myself, see a few movies, devour a pint of ice cream, and take some time on the couch.