Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Job Hunt

LinkedIn really pulled ahead here. This will almost read as an add for them, and I will say I liked the program before this.

I was updating my LinkedIn profile because it always seems like a good thing to do before starting a job hunt. They kept insisting that I try Job Seeker Premium. Well, heck, if the first month is free, I might as well try it for a month. I enter in all my information and thus starts my official job hunt.

LinkedIn recommends several jobs, and I read through the first through. A couple sound like they would be really great and I'm genuinely interested. I click the amazingly beautiful "Apply through LinkedIn" button, attach a condensed, PDF of my resume, and hit send. The easiest application of my life. Then for good measures, I keep clicking through recommendations and apply to all of the ones with the same easy button.

Feeling motivated, I go back to the first couple I actually read up on and send a personal letter to the recruiters. Then I google the companies and my interest only increases.

I've now done waaayy too much work for one day and call it quits.

THE VERY NEXT DAY I get an email from one of the first couple of places I applied to! They would like to schedule a phone interview! Heck yeah!

The company is one45 and they develop software for medical schools. The following interview process then ensues:
  • A rather quick (maybe 30 minute) phone interview.
  • A 3 hour tech test. I get to complete it at home using any references I would like. It's three questions, covering SQL, OOP, and recursion (think - databases and tables, object-oriented programming, and never ending mirrors that line up so you see yourself in the mirror forever).
  • A 3 hour on-site interview.
  • A 2 hour on-site interview.
  • Reference checks with 3 references.
  • THE JOB OFFER!!!
I got the job offer!!! It's very exciting! It was a long process, but the company is amazing and it's a great opportunity, so well worth it! Their offices are a 10-minute MAX walk from the apartment, which is perfect! I'll start on September 15th, so I still have a couple of weeks to fart around with Loki and Amelia!